Welcome to the 12AD Model Railway Group
Welcome to the website of the 12AD Model Railway Group.
The group came about at the 2013 Perth show where Milton Street MPD made its debut on the exhibition circuit. Three of us had been working on the layout for a few months and found that as a team everything worked really well. We all got on great with each other, bonded well and had the same vision for the future.
Our small team ended up in a local hostelry on the Saturday night of the exhibition (29th June) and whilst partaking of a few pints of the black stuff we started discussing the possibility of forming a small group of like minded people, 3 of whom have their own layouts, with the intention of hopefully attending a couple of shows each year with these layouts. Also discussed were improvements for Milton Street and the possibility of introducing a common sound facility for our layouts, the ideas also for future projects were coming thick and fast.
The enthusiasm was obvious and so we decided to proceed with the first task being to come up with a name for the group. This was talked about at length and we all felt that it had to reflect on certain things railway related:
- Bill Auld, who prefers to model the Caledonian Railway amongst other pre-grouping Scottish railways, wanted some reference to the McIntosh '903' Cardean locomotive, these digits added together to give the number 12.
- The AD comes from the surnames of two modellers who we regard very highly - Jimmy Anderson who was for years the chairman of the East Kilbride model railway club and was a founder member of that club, and Hugh Douglas, both now unfortunately no longer with us. Jimmy and Hugh were modellers of the highest standard, well known and respected within the model railway fraternity north of the border.
- MRG is, simply, Model Railway Group, although there is a joke in there, to those in the know!
Our aim is to produce quality layouts for home and exhibition purposes, currently we have the following layouts we can offer to exhibition managers:
- Eaglesham by Bill Auld, a Caledonian Railway station and yard layout set in 1912.
- Milton Street MPD by Spencer Anderson, a Motive Power Depot set in Motherwell depicting the final years of British Railway steam.
- Jacks Hill Loading Point 3 by Michael Johnston, a minimum space shunting puzzle, not tied down to any era or location.
We have all been involved in a club situation before and have decided that our small group, will remain a small group.
Please visit the Latest News and Layout Updates pages for regular updates or if you just want to browse photos of our layouts, please visit the Galleries pages.
To enquire or leave a comment, please complete the form below, your details and email address will not be shared with anyone or any organisation.
All site photography: Copyright Joe Loftus unless credited
...visitors since 06/07/2013