Welcome to the 12AD Model Railway Group
Welcome to the website of the 12AD Model Railway Group.
The group came about at the 2013 Perth show where Milton Street MPD made its debut on the exhibition circuit. Three of us had been working on the layout for a few months and found that as a team everything worked really well. We all got on great with each other, bonded well and had the same vision for the future.
Our small team ended up in a local hostelry on the Saturday night of the exhibition (29th June) and whilst partaking of a few pints of the black stuff we started discussing the possibility of forming a small group of like minded people, 3 of whom have their own layouts, with the intention of hopefully attending a couple of shows each year with these layouts. Also discussed were improvements for Milton Street and the possibility of introducing a common sound facility for our layouts, the ideas also for future projects were coming thick and fast.
The enthusiasm was obvious and so we decided to proceed with the first task being to come up with a name for the group. This was talked about at length and we all felt that it had to reflect on certain things railway related:
- Bill Auld, who preferes to model the Caledonian Railway amongst other pre-grouping Scottish railways, wanted some reference to McIntosh '903' Cardean, these digits added together to give the number 12.
- The AD comes from the surnames of two modellers who we regard very highly - Jimmy Anderson who was for years the chairman of the East Kilbride model railway club and is a founder member of that club, and Hugh Douglas, now unfortunately no longer with us. Hugh was a modeller of the highest standard and was well known and respected within the model railway fraternity north of the border.
- MRG is, simply, Model Railway Group, although there is a joke in there, to those in the know!
Our aim is to produce quality layouts for exhibition purposes, currently we have the following layouts we can offer to exhibition managers:
- Eaglesham by Bill Auld, a Caledonian Railway station and yard layout set in 1912. Eaglesham has recently been exhibited at the Warley National MRE in 2015.
- Milton Street MPD by Spencer Anderson, a Motive Power Depot set in Motherwell depicting the final years of British Railway steam. This year Milton Street MPD has most recently been exhibited at the Perth Model Railway Show and is next to be shown at the Warley National MRE.
- Helenston by Keith Brown, a rural station set in Central Scotland in the mid 70s to mid 80s. This layout made its exhibition debut at the Kyle Model Railway Show, May 2016 and will next be on show at the Cathcart Model Railway Exhibition on 29th & 30th October.
- Gallowmere by Joe Loftus, an urban parcels and freight facility set in the North West of England in the early 1970's which will make its exhibition debut at the Kyle Model Railway Show in May 2017.
For quick reference, please download the .pdf file below
We have all been involved in a club situation before and have decided that our small group, will remain a small group.
Please visit the Updates page for regular updates and if you would like to be informed when this website is updated, please subscribe to our mailing list...
To subscribe to 12AD MRG website updates, enquire or leave a comment, please complete the form below, your details and email address will not be shared with anyone or any organisation.
All site photography: Copyright Joe Loftus 2013/2014 unless credited
...visitors since 06/07/2013